President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday morning announced the extension of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) to further maximize the country’s efforts to stop the spread of the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19).
The decision to delay the lifting of ECQ was determined after recommendation from Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), now lead by Harry Roque.
The extended ECQ is targeted to be lifted on May 15, 2020. For the time being, areas with ‘high risk’ of the pandemic shall continue complying with the health and safety measures:
• NCR (National Capital Region)
• Region 4-A (CALABARZON)
• Nueva Ecija
• Oriental Mindoro
• Occidental Mindoro
• Cebu City
• Davao Del Norte
• Davao City
• Davao De Oro
Meanwhile, provinces and regions with low to moderate risk will observe general community quarantine. The following guidelines will be implemented on these areas starting May 1, 2020:
1. Only workers and sectors in Category I, II, and III may continue to work or operate in phases.
2. The general population may go out of their homes only for purposes of accessing basic necessities.
3. In any case, those with ages below 21 years old and those 60 years old and above, as well as those with ages ranging from 21 years old but below 60 years old but reside with persons with co-morbidities or other risk factors, shall remain at home.
4. Non-leisure stores in malls and shopping centers may partially open.
5. Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) may continue classes to finish the Academic Year and issue credential to students, in accordance with guidelines as may be issued by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
6. Priority and essential construction projects may resume in accordance with guidelines as may be issued by the DPWH;
7. Public transportation may operate at a reduced capacity in accordance with guidelines as may be issued by the DOTr;
8. Local Government Units (LGUs) shall enforce curfew at night for non-workers; and
Airports and seaports may operate insofar as the unhampered movement of goods.